Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32544 Ignoramus32544 is offline

Default PICTURES -- Repainted Famco 3R Arbor Press

On 2008-03-03, wrote:
Looks nice, now, except you need to remove all the paint in the work
area. You can't place tooling plates or work pieces on the paint. Just
sand it off and put a little oil on the metal.

OK, did not know that, but that sounds right to me. Thanks.

We use one quite often at work to press ribbon connectors, press PEM
nuts into circuit boards and press-in connectors into circuit boards.
Sometimes our customers come and use one to do the same on prototype
circuit boards.

You will need to make some tool holders to fit the end of the ram.

It seems to have some sort of threading inside.

I found some scrap square steel tube that would fit over the end of
the ram. Cut into 1" lengths and debur. I think I put them in the
lathe, using a 4-jaw chuck and squared up the ends. Then drill and
tap one side to take a thumb screw to clamp the holder to the ram.

Then cut and fit bottom plates to the holders and braze them in place.
Need to be sure the plates are square to the sides of the holder. The
press ram will push against the bottom plate and needs a nice fit.
When you need to make a custom tool, you can drill and tap the bottom
plate to take a threaded pin, or whatever you need.

I will check what threading it has, as I said it is threaded. I may be
able to get away with using what I have in it now.

I will need to find a bottom plate also.

I am sure you will find many uses for the press. Just don't use a pipe
extension on the handle to get more leverage!

Yes... The existing handle, with the red handle that I added, ought to
be long enough.

Another question concerns mounting. I want to bolt it to the same
moving work table that it is on now.

Am I correct in thinking that it needs to be mounted with its "throat"
opening forward of the table? That is, its base should not be 100% on
the table, but the front part needs to "hang" in front? That would let
me press long things out of whatever they are stuck in. Right?