Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default PICTURES -- Repainted Famco 3R Arbor Press

On Mar 3, 4:20 am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
On 2008-03-03, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus25173 wrote:

Pictures and some details are here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/misc...R-Arbor-Press/

I really like the red handle, it is very convenient to grab. Add a
nice feel to this whole thing.

Good score, Igor. I got lucky once at Boeing Surplus, got a nice Dake ratcheting
arbor press with rotating platen, in good shape. Didn't need new paint, had a
couple of Boeing Machinist stickers on it which I left on. I use the arbor press
probably every 8-10 weeks year in and year out.

Grant, thanks. Could you tell me what exactly do you use it for. I
have no experience using one and, I am sure, am missing a lot of
useful ideas on what I can do with a press like this.

Looks nice, now, except you need to remove all the paint in the work
area. You can't place tooling plates or work pieces on the paint. Just
sand it off and put a little oil on the metal.

We use one quite often at work to press ribbon connectors, press PEM
nuts into circuit boards and press-in connectors into circuit boards.
Sometimes our customers come and use one to do the same on prototype
circuit boards.

You will need to make some tool holders to fit the end of the ram. I
found some scrap square steel tube that would fit over the end of the
ram. Cut into 1" lengths and debur. I think I put them in the lathe,
using a 4-jaw chuck and squared up the ends. Then drill and tap one
side to take a thumb screw to clamp the holder to the ram.

Then cut and fit bottom plates to the holders and braze them in place.
Need to be sure the plates are square to the sides of the holder. The
press ram will push against the bottom plate and needs a nice fit.
When you need to make a custom tool, you can drill and tap the bottom
plate to take a threaded pin, or whatever you need.

Some tool holders have a piece of steel welded across the tool holder,
rahter than a bottom plate, to make a tool for a particular size or
shape of connector. The ribbon connector tool is this way. The PEM nut
tool is made on a lathe and then screwed into the tool holder.

I am sure you will find many uses for the press. Just don't use a pipe
extension on the handle to get more leverage!

Good luck,

Paul