Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Giving body to mortar ? perlite? peat moss?

jc wrote:
I have a wood column I'd like to mesh and mortar into a rock column.

I was able to do the same mortar design another part of the house
applying a top coat of a techitured paster (silica) with tit like
ridges i then sanded down. The effect was a coral rock like look
that fools the eye.

Problem is I need to lay the mortar extra think as the column is
not that thick this time and have it bulge in places 2 to 3 inches
thick from the steal mesh.

I plan to use a mortar with some pvc additive that's suppose to be
extra resistant to cracking. I've tried it before and it's extra
hard and durable but does not look good as the final coat. Hence
the need for the silica plaster for texturing. However, i'm not
sure I can laying 3 inches thick alone.

I've heard of people adding perllite and peat moss to mortar or
concrete so that it can be molded into thick objects. Is this a good
technique? Advisable?

Any other suggestions.

Read up on "ferro-cement". Basically, use multiple layers of chicken
wire to form a shape, force mortar into it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...