Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Delta Lathe 46-700

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:26:07 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

A good, light duty, lathe that shares a weakness with most lathes that
rely on a mechanical, sliding sheave, variable speed drive. The drive
components wear out with regular speed changes and significant use.
First indication is noise in the drive.

If you can ascertain that the lathe has a sound drive the price is
right. If it does not, you would need to look at the cost of the
components to rebuild the varidrive and add those to the price for
your total cost.

You might want to ask your question on the various woodturning forums.
Keep in mind, though, you might be getting answers based on the
perspective of folks who own Nova's or One Way's or other high quality
(and appropriately priced) lathes.

Frank