Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default Pool Cover?

On Mar 1, 2:14 am, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

On Feb 29, 12:00 pm, wrote:
Not a problem with stacking them for storage, I have a "side yard" not
show in the pic that runs the length of the house.

My concern with this approach would be... will building code allow it?
I guess only my local town would anser that. But lets say they did...

I was thinking 2x12's topped off with either plywood, or deck
boards... each section would need to be about 3 feet wide (for weight
purposes), and 18 or so feet across the pool. The pool is 16ft x 32ft.
Question, can you even span 18 feet with PTL 2x12's, can you even get
them at 18 feet? Would my pool structure even support all the weight
on it?

Does any of this seem feasible, or am I just crazy?

Frank-

A "hard" pool cover would be similar to a raised wooden deck....there
are design requirements for it.
I'm guessing about 50 psf LL & another 10 DL.

Is the pool edge to pool edge span 15'? or 18'? Big difference.

Plywood wood deck would help the span stiffness.....deck boards won't.

I'm not sure PTL is required if you provide a means of ventilation
but

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Designing & building a deck / cover is easily feasible...that's how
engineers & contractors make their livings.

It's not going to be cheap though..... material alone will be a
several $1,000's.

cheers
Bob

Yes, but that would be much easier than actually supervising the little
darlings.

What's your problem dumb ass. Shut the F**K up. No one wants your
retarded opinion.