Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default UV lights in AC coils?

On Mar 2, 7:34�pm, "Zyp" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:12?pm, "Zyp" wrote:
geothermaljones wrote:
Check out the UV in the return ductwork...
The UV can degrade the plastics oft found on the A/C Coils, namely
the condensate drain pan.

? ?geothermaljones

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I'm replacing my central air conditioner with a much more efficient
one. (I hope Congress restores the $500 tax credit this year!) One
of the options I can buy is UV lamps for the coils. Carrier makes
these claims:

- Kills bacteria & mold growing on the indoor coil
- Enhanced indoor air quality
- Enhanced air flow
- Minimizes microbial build-up on coils
- Improves system efficiency

See:http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...uality/uvlamp/

Now I don't yet know how much this option is (or the annual
replacement of the bulbs). But is this something worth considering?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

donwiss:

Geothermljones is spot on. ?You have to be cautious on the
evaporator coil pans.

HVAC Tech isn't thinking well. The mold that can grow will inhibit
thermal transfer from the air to the coil. ?UV lights have been
proven to increase efficiency in that respect. ?Albeit over time.

The thing with mold though, is it requires a dark, damp and warm
spot to grow. ?That in mind, while the air conditioning is in
operation, the cooling coil hopefully is around 40? F. ?Not the best
for mold growth. ?But, when standing water is left in the condensate
pan, and the system is at rest [or heats during the evening, cools
during the day], can leave the opportunity for mold growth.

--
Zyp- Hide quoted text -

well turn the heat on occasionally even in the summer.. with windows
open.

nice hot furnace air should kill any mold growing in there

Mold likes it steamy. �Generally 98� or better in fact. � Turning on the
heat occasionally might increase growth. �Ever heard of "dirty sock
syndrome?" �During a heat pumps operation, water left standing in the
condensate pan aids the growth of microorganisms and bacteria. �The result
is the co-toxins produced and the stench as well.

As long as the condensate pan is metal, and, a UVC light is installed in
such a manor not to expose other plastic parts to the light, they are a good
remedy to eliminate mold growth around the evaporator. �But, it is recommend
the bulb be replaced annually.

--
Zyp- Hide quoted text -

my point was that with the heat on any mold will dry out and die.