Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

Default how do dryer controls work?

"mm" wrote in message
I have a very old clothes dryer, a Kenmore that I'm pretty sure is
made by Whirlpool, that has never given me any trouble, and maybe it's
time to ask 2 questions about it.
But the air with this machine, even on gentle, must be a lot hotter
than gentle. Even after I've opened the machine and taken out the
clothes for a few seconds, the clothes seem hotter than gentle. I'm
afraid to try the next temp up, because I think that hot air is bad
for everything but 100% cotton, and I always have elastic, polyester,
nylon, or other fabrics in the load. I don't think I'd be successful
trying to measure the air temp, but would you all describe the heat on
"gentle" as still pretty hot?

We have an old Kenmore elec. dryer (circa 1990), and several years ago when
troubleshooting and replacing one of the thermostats, I measured the
temperatures on the various temp. ranges running the dryer empty.
The low temp. had a cut-in temp. of 105° and a cut-out of 157°
The med. temp had a cut-in of 107° and a cut-out of 166°
And the high temp. had a cut-in of 116° and a cut-out of 169°
As you can see, there is hardly a difference.