Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
burly pete burly pete is offline

Default Problem with Tim Skilton Premium Sanding Pads

Hi Folks

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem that I'm having
with the Tim Skilton Premium Sanding Pads that are available at Lee
Valley.
I use the new wave sanding discs to finish my turnings. I can actually
wear out the sandpaper with no problems on the lathe
When I try to use this set up to sand my larger carvings and
sculptures the sanding discs tend to loose their grip on the velcro
sanding pad and come off. A sanding disc may last from 1min to 5min at
the best.
Once the sanding dics comes off that's it, it will not grip again. I
thought it might be the wood dust building since it doesn't get thrown
off as it does on the lathe. I used the shop vac but it still happens.
I have tried new velcro, different sanding pads , even cut out a disc
from my RO disc sandpaper but the problem still happens. This has
being going on for over a year so I don't think it could be a bad lot
of materials.
There is a lot more stress being put on the discs while sanding on the
lathe than there is on the carving.
The only thing I can see being the problem is the velcro is made in a
way that it needs both the disc and the work to rotate.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

I contacted Lee Valley about this and all they can do is offer and
exchange or refund