Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Edwards Richard Edwards is offline

Default Forklift battery info

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:30:52 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:
I normally do not top post but as you did .....

Each cell has 11 plates in PARALELL. The AH of each cell is therefore
11 x 75 = 825AH 18 CELLS in series is 36v at 825AH

Richard
Yes, that is my point, There is one positive and one negative plate per
cell. They are connected in series, 2 Volts per cell. In series, voltage is
additive, not amp/hrs. In parallel, the amp/hrs are additive not the
voltage. Please do not confuse the cold start amp rating with amp/hrs, they
are completely different.
Steve

"NewsGroups" spar@plaus wrote in message

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Randy,
I believe your arithmatic is faulty. In your battery description, you add
your cell amp/hr rating and the cells are arranged in series. That is
incorrect. Cell amp/hr ratings are only additive when placed in parallel.
So in your case, the entire 36V battery has a 75 Amp/hr rating, which
makes much more sense as these batteries are designed for deep discharge,
use thicker plates and a lower plate surface area. Consequently, the
charge rate should not exceed 10% of its Amp/hr rating or 7.5 Amps.
Steve

He's talking about amp hours per plate. The 825 sounds quite
close for for a fork lift battery although many are much larger.

"Randy" wrote in message
Here's a little info I got from trying to find out info on my
forklift. My battery part number is stamped on one of the lead
crossbars near the positve terminal. The numbers stamped into the
side of the steel case (BB1 HL149) are meaningless I guess.

My P/N is 18 7523, which was explained to me as this, first two
numbers "18" indicate the number of cells. IE 18 cells = 36 volts.
Last two numbers are the number of plates in the battery, "23" Each
cell will start and end with a negative plate, so the number of
negative plates will always be an even number and one more than
positve plates. This means my battery will have 12 negative plates
and 11 positve plates in each cell. The "75" number is AMP/HR rating
of each positve plate. 11 plates times 75a/H per plate gives me a
battery of 825 A/Hr. total capacity.

Which seems to make sense beacuse there is a 825 stamped right under
the 18 7523.

You then need a charger rated to match the battery A/Hr rating so you
can charge the battery in 8 hours, give it 8 hours cool down and then
get an 8 hour work shift out of it.

This lift will see only occasinal use so I'm not worried about
matching up a charger.

Hope someone finds this trivia useful.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!