Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

He also reckoned that an interrupted cut on a lathe can be run at higher
revs than a continuous one, which raised eyebrows. Everyone else says
otherwise, but he had his reasoning. What say you?

Jordan

What I say is he's right---and I'll embellish his comments with the idea
that if you're machining tough material, such as 304 stainless steel, not
only will it tolerate higher speed than if it was solid, but it will also be
very forgiving of positive rake that is far beyond that which anyone might
imagine. It not only accepts the geometry, but thrives on it. A light
feed is mandatory, as is lubrication, with coolant being a definite bonus.

The interrupted cut provides for a moderate amount of time where the tool
can cool, or in the worst case, simply isn't getting heated for the
interrupt interval. Anything that can be done to diffuse or eliminate heat
under these conditions will pay a benefit of prolonged tool life.

Harold

The teacher mentioned cooler running as the benefit. The advantage with
tough material wasn't mentioned - another one for the books, thanks.

Jordan