Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default New easy to install DIY solar panels technology

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 21:44:09 -0000 someone who may be "BRG"
wrote this:-

Still a rather expensive waste of time though installing these things (along
with windmills stuck on the roof or huge windfarms in the countryside)

Ah,proof by assertion.

you still have to rely on nuclear/coal/gas/oil fired power stations to
maintain a reliable and constant supply of electricity.

The idea that any source of electricity generation is reliable is
mildly amusing. For example a little over a year ago one of the
largest coal fired plants in Europe had to be shut down suddenly
after a conveyor belt fell down.
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2007/01/22/newsstory9203741t0.asp

One of the reasons for connecting local electricity systems together
from say the 1930s was to allow excess standby plant to be shut down
while increasing overall reliability. Any connected source of
electricity feeds into this common system. Ignoring this simple fact
leads one to make foolish statements and come up with ridiculous
costs, as the Royal Academy of Engineering have demonstrated.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh