Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Old welding machine value

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:30:52 -0500, "NewsGroups" spar@plaus wrote:
"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message

I found an older welding machine today in my current ad for a welding
machine.

It is a Lincoln Model DC 225-3-AS powered by an Onan CCK motor. This
looks
like the same Onan I had on a Lincoln Weldanpower 225 and it ran just
fine.
It has two 115v. take off plugs, no AC welding capability, and no CCV tap.
No 220 plug.

It is quite possible that those 115 volt plugs are DC voltage! and they
will not operate most new power tools. Like anything with a soft start
or speed control.

Well, the one instruction book I found says the auxiliary power
output from the Lincoln DC-225/3-AS is in fact AC. The only thing I
was questioning is if it had a 240V center-tapped AC winding going to
two 120V receptacles (ignoring the fact that it can make 240V with a
bit of rewiring), or a single 120V winding that can't be modified.

But even though you have to remember if the generator is DC output,
that's not as big a problem as it seems - the vast majority of small
hand power tools out there are still using single-speed brush type
universal motors that aren't at all fazed by running on DC.

And if cabinet work is on the calendar and your favorite router is
variable speed and AC Only, you have to remember to bring along the
"Old Faithful" one-speed with the brush universal motor.

My almost-new Skil Mag-77 is rated "120V DC or AC to 60 Hz." Which
would work fine if there are any pockets still using 25 Hz or 50 Hz
gear somewhere in the far backwoods. Just can't use it on an aircraft
with a 400 Hz AC power system without rectifying to DC first.

-- Bruce --