Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
NewsGroups NewsGroups is offline

Default Old welding machine value

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message
I found an older welding machine today in my current ad for a welding
machine.

It is a Lincoln Model DC 225-3-AS powered by an Onan CCK motor. This
looks
like the same Onan I had on a Lincoln Weldanpower 225 and it ran just
fine.
It has two 115v. take off plugs, no AC welding capability, and no CCV tap.
No 220 plug.

It is quite possible that those 115 volt plugs are DC voltage! and thaey
will not
operate most new power tools. Like anything with a soft start or speed
control.

This old machine started on the third pull with a cord, and that was cold
as
could be. Some black smoke and the smell of bad gas, but no white smoke,
and none after it warmed up. No smell of oil in exhaust, as from bad
rings.

I waited for it to warm up, and then welded some 7018 AC using the DC at
150
and the fine tune at 10. It ran good. The 7018 was all I had, buying it
for a Tombstone I have, too.

Anyhoo, the guy wanted a grand. I suspect this machine is from the early
80's. It doesn't look like it's been used a lot, but could use a can of
Gunk spray and a power washing.

I told him a grand was high on that age of machine, and that I would get
back to him after I researched it. He was an old hippie intellectual type
who used the machine to make some fencing and a truck rack. I didn't go
look at the fencing and truck rack after looking at the welds he made on
the
trailer.

What would you offer for it? Or would you make him give ME something to
haul it off? ;-)

I'm thinking $300.

Steve