Ned Simmons

Default Burke Millrite Spindle Bearings Access Plug

In article dvandam-2107040942070001@sdn-ap-
006tnnashp0217.dialsprint.net,
says...
Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

That you have the same arrangement tends to indicate that this is not a
one off but something the factory introduced and then didn't cover with an
update to the service manual.

On mine the depth of the hex key socket is much less than 0.1", maybe only
0.030" to 0.040" . I tried pressing the hex key into this shallow recess
and carefully turning but the key just smears the recess and climbs out.
Not only is it unclear how to get the plug out as configured, how the hell
did they get it in?

Thanks again for the reply.

Dennis van Dam

PS

You ever notice the bottom of the quill warming up?

Maybe I'm worried for nothing and this was just a one time thing because I
ran the spindle at 3400 rpm when usually I'm only running it at 250 to
725.

(Still, I ought to be able to run the machine at 3400 rpm without
overheating the spindle bearings.)

Look at McMaster-Carr p/n 10595K14. Does that look like
what you've got? If so, and the fitting is still OK, you'll
need something like p/n 1090K54.

Do you have any way of measuring how hot does the spindle
actually gets? Even 200F isn't likely to harm anything
unless the bearing preload changes drastically due to
thermal expansion. If it's getting tighter I'd expect the
temp to run away (hotter-tighter-hotter still- even
tighter-....), if too loose, accuracy and/or finish may
suffer.

Ned Simmons