Posted to alt.home.repair
Moo[_2_] Moo[_2_] is offline

Default Wet garage floor

""Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "" wrote in
message ...
Moo wrote:
I moved into a 30 year old house this summer, and am getting seriously
****ed off with puddles of water from melting snow from the truck. In
previous houses, floors have been angled to drain through the door
naturally, although I've never seen it work particularly well.

In this house the water pools up in a couple of areas, towards the middle
of the floor. To make matters worse, there is a load bearing 2x4 wall in
between 2 stalls that is in the middle of one of the areas where it pools
badly. It's starting to rot and I'm probably destined to replace it
(this time with a layer or two of block at ground level to avoid water
touching wood in future).

I really want to find a way of draining the floor. I'm not sure what the
best approach is. If money and time was no option, I would dig up the
floor, put in drains, and have then feed some large soaking beds under
the frost line (3-4 feet here in MN) to the side of the garage, dug deep
enough that they would absorb a lot of water. I don't really have the
time or money for that. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I should dig
holes say a foot diameter, 4 feet down, and fill with gravel, cover up
with drain etc? I would need 2 or 3 to catch the key low points, but that
would not be too difficult.

I don't want to do the stupid mats as I know people that have had them
break after one season, and I don't want to have to get the shop vac out
every day. Looking for a low maintenance option.

I've putzed around on google for a few hours looking for ideas, but most
of it is the stupid mats.

TIA for any ideas.

Mat

Put grooves in the floor where it puddles to the garage door, under the
door and out. Hopefully your driveway tapers away from the garage.Use one
of those cement cutting discs in a skill saw and keep lowering it as you
approach the door. You probably don't need much taper.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

I like this suggestion.....but any idea how get the grooves at the right
depth and pitch?