Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default New scam, no politics--I promise

Charlie Self wrote in
:

On Feb 29, 9:43 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

Hey, have you noticed a new kind of sales call, a scam about your
number having won whatever the hell--laptop, Rolex, in a sing-song
accent?

Haven't got that one that I know of (we don't pick up on "out of
area"
or "number unavailable" calls). Did get a new one (to us) from Bank
of America last night. Caller ID said Bank of America, and since we
have an account there decided to pick up. Was told this was a
courtesy call, they had our credit card ready and wanted to confirm
some information. Now, since I have a Bank of America MasterCard
(was originally MBNA before they got bought out) and it expires in
May, thought this was legit to just confirm information on the new
card. Then after confirming address and zip code, she makes the
comment, my new card will be sent with a credit limit of (really
small amount compared to existing card). I asked if this was a new
card and new account, after she affirmed that it was, I called a halt
and told them not to send.

"Courtesy call" my Aunt Sadie.

I get that one on occasion, too.Recorded voice: "It is urgent that you
that you get in touch with us about your credit card. There is no
problem with the account, but get in touch soon." They have a hope.
The recording gets to "urgent" and I hang up. What's urgent to them is
nonsense to me. If they really need me, they can write a
letter...which was always my response to sales calls that got through
years ago--put it in writing.

My problem with out of area call refusal is a simple one: I've got
friends all over the U.S. I also often get business calls on one of
the home phone lines, and they can be from almost anywhere.

We got a call from Sears/Mastercard/Citibank to call them back. I did.
They said did I really order over $9000 in merchandise over the past day
or so? I said no, just bought a $12 item 3 weeks before that, and don't
use the card often at all. They said OK, we'll cancel the charges. I
said Fine, cancel the whole account, and seek out the bozos at the local
Kmart who saw the card that one time I used it.

I work at a VA Hospital and when I call home from there, it shows
unknown. Spouse knows enough to pick up. When I'm home we adjust for
the fact grin.

--
Best regards
Han