Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

I didn't invent it, but state as I was taught by a metalworking teacher.
You're pretty dismissive, but don't say what the grumble is.

Maybe you can get your metal working teacher to spend some time trying to
learn to use them properly instead of passing on **** poor procedures.

Rather than say yours is the only way, I say there could be more than one
way to skin a cat.

Yes, I hear that often, mostly from those that don't have a clue

Harold

OK Harold, you have miles more experience and I'm convinced you've done
good and accurate work. But you're still relying on assertion rather
than compelling argument, so I still can't say with confidence which way
is better. My teacher, to give him his due, was all about productivity,
and taught methods that whilst controversial did make sense to me, in
terms of fast results. It's a quick way to make very small adjustments
to a telescopic gauge, lightly tapping (the handle, not the anvil) on a
solid object. The gauges are cheap anyway, and seemed to last well enough.
He also reckoned that an interrupted cut on a lathe can be run at higher
revs than a continuous one, which raised eyebrows. Everyone else says
otherwise, but he had his reasoning. What say you?

Jordan