Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Nobody's yet mentioned that there are 2 types of these telescoping bore
gauges. One has a fixed anvil, the other both anvils move. I find the
fixed anvil type better to use. They can be easily adjusted by tapping
the handle on a suitable object, say a toolpost, so that the movable
anvil either gives a smaller reading. Or, by turning it over, the
movable anvil gives a bigger reading. I don't think I'd trust any
measurement taken by locking the gauge while it's in the bore.
A nice old-fashioned spring caliper could be used too.
Jordan

Worst possible way you can use them if you expect a proper reading. Learn
to use them as they should be used. The exact way you suggest doesn't
work is proper. Those made by Starrett, the ones the double telescope
are far better, keeping the forces centered. I wouldn't trust one that
telescopes only on one side.

Harold

I didn't invent it, but state as I was taught by a metalworking teacher.
You're pretty dismissive, but don't say what the grumble is.

Maybe you can get your metal working teacher to spend some time trying to
learn to use them properly instead of passing on **** poor procedures.
That he taught you that method is more a sign of his ineptness than anything
else.

Listeh, pal. I have worked with and have been a machinist since 1957. My
background includes several years in the aero-space industry, plus the vast
majority of them in defense outside the aero-space industry. I ran a
commercial shop for 16 years, subcontracting from the defense industry,
including making tools for the production of guidance systems. Those that
worked around and with me, and there were hundreds, to the man, didn't
hammer on their telescoping gauges. Some did use the single telescoping
types, but they are far more awkward than the double telescoping type. I
concluded that from having used both types in my many years. I own the
double type, by choice. I also know how to use them, and can measure
consistently to .0002". Did I mention I don't hammer on them?

Measuring isn't normally accomplished by hammer and anvil, it is approached
from a perspective of precision, and not left to luck. knocking a
telescoping gauge about is trusting to luck. Using it properly is not.
That's my grumble, and I have more than 50 years of having used them
properly, with rigid QC verifying my results to back my position. I don't
have the problems others complain of. Do the math.

Rather than say yours is the only way, I say there could be more than one
way to skin a cat.

Jordan

Yes, I hear that often, mostly from those that don't have a clue, and won't
be denied their hare brained ideas. They are the type that never learn
from those that have something to offer, and should not be the cause of
wasted time.

Machining and measuring isn't something one accomplishes successfully by
good fortune---it is a skill and art, much like playing a musical
instrument. Many make noise, but few make music. For the most part they
are the musicians that have learned properly. The ones that don't play
their instruments with a hammer, perhaps.

Harold