Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:24:32 -0500, "Ed Huntress"

snip-------

This is why I recommended some coaching from someone skilled in the
use of telescoping gages. They are machinist's tools, simple but
quite capable of accuracy to a tenth or two if used properly. They
definitely can and will indicate matters of surface, departure from
cylindricty, taper and other distortions. It's up to the user to use
them both skillfully and intelligently. It ain't that hard to do.

Absolutely true-----and proven in practice by my years in the shop.

Don't blame the tool if you can't make it work----they've always worked for
my peers and me. We trusted them to get us through rigid inspection
processes by well qualified and well tooled inspectors in the defense
industry.

Using telescoping gauges successfully, just like running a mill or lathe, or
any other machine tool, requires some skill and experience. I would be
more than insulted for anyone to assume they could step up to these
instruments or tools and expect to enjoy the same degree of success that
those of us that have worked in the trade for years, and paid serious dues
in the process (no, I do not mean union dues), to be able to perform at the
same level. Best thing you can do is get started using them. You can't
gain experience from a book.

Harold