Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Wet garage floor

On Feb 29, 9:03*pm, "Moo" moooooo wrote:
I moved into a 30 year old house this summer, and am getting seriously
****ed off with puddles of water from melting snow from the truck. *In
previous houses, floors have been angled to drain through the door
naturally, although I've never seen it work particularly well.

In this house the water pools up in a couple of areas, towards the middle of
the floor. *To make matters worse, there is a load bearing 2x4 wall in
between 2 stalls that is in the middle of one of the areas where it pools
badly. *It's starting to rot and I'm probably destined to replace it (this
time with a layer or two of block at ground level to avoid water touching
wood in future).

I really want to find a way of draining the floor. *I'm not sure what the
best approach is. *If money and time was no option, I would dig up the
floor, put in drains, and have then feed some large soaking beds under the
frost line (3-4 feet here in MN) to the side of the garage, dug deep enough
that they would absorb a lot of water. *I don't really have the time or
money for that. *Does anyone have any ideas? *Maybe I should dig holes say a
foot diameter, 4 feet down, and fill with gravel, cover up with drain etc?
I would need 2 or 3 to catch the key low points, but that would not be too
difficult.

I don't want to do the stupid mats as I know people that have had them break
after one season, and I don't want to have to get the shop vac out every
day. *Looking for a low maintenance option.

I've putzed around on google for a few hours looking for ideas, but most of
it is the stupid mats.

TIA for any ideas.

Mat

Tear down the garage and redo it as you want