Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default New scam, no politics--I promise

Charlie Self wrote:

Hey, have you noticed a new kind of sales call, a scam about your
number having won whatever the hell--laptop, Rolex, in a sing-song
accent?

Six of 'em today. They're offshore, obviously with those accents, so
the "Do Not Call" list is a waste of energy. I'm screaming at them,
and swearing at them. I figure if enough of the assholes, male and
female, go home every day in tears, they might back off. Trouble is,
Frances is getting ****ed at me for swearing so much. She just hangs
up, but this nonsense seems to have started a couple months ago, and
is gaining intensity daily.

Next possiblity is telling them we've formed a new group to hunt down
everyone who ever made such a call and pierce their eardrums with a
hot ice pick. Then remind them, in the digital age, they are ALWAYS
connected and traceable.

I do this:

Answer the phone and listen to what they are trying to sell, give
me, or tell me that I have won. I then say: "Oh wow, I am VERY
interested in this, can you hang on just a minute?"

Then I set the phone down and walk away. When you come back in
15 minutes or so, they are usually gone. If they aren't, I say
"Sorry about that, now where were we?" As soon as they begin
talking, I then say: "Damnit! You'll have to hang on again.
I'll be right back."

Repeat as necessary.

What this does is keep them occupied for at least a little while
so they can't bother someone else.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.