Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oh boy...

You said it - mercury will exit the hole - taking heat with it since it
conducts. It creates a vacuum and draws in other. Something like a heat pump.

When I drill or hold cut glass on the drill press, I build a dam of clay and
fill it with water. Steam blows water out of the hole, but the exhaust on one
side draws in fluid on the other. The cut is done cooler. Doesn't shatter
the glass.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
UGH. Mercury is the coolant - a metal liquid. Likely very active.

Not the case. Secondary discussions indicate that the mercury will exit the
hole I drill, not be sprayed onto the surface as I drill...