Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is Dexion / Handy Angle called in America?

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"James Sweet" wrote in message

I went to the local "Dollar Tree" store today, and they have changed
their labels. Now they call their cheap plastic knives "Utility Knives"
so maybe they are finally learning the proper names.

To me "utility knife" is the reusable metal handle with the often
retractible, and replaceable blade. "Box cutter" is the disposable type
made for cutting boxes. I'd never heard any other term for them.

If you ever work in retail everyone calls "utility knives" "box cutters" in
fact in Florida I believe that "box cutter" is the common name for them. You
know how things have different regional names. i.e. Soda Pop vs Cola vs
Coke. Water fountain vs bubbler. Although, I do have a utility knife the is
specifcally designed for opening boxes. It has a small metal tab for
breaking the tape on top to use instead of the kife blade so that you don't
cut the product inside.

I just use a key to a padlock that's on my key chain to cut taped
boxes. I did work retail, almost 40 years ago, when fiber reinforced
paper tape was used, and you needed a very sharp knife, unless you
wanted to crush the box.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell