Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

"Dave" wrote in message

Disclaimer: I'm not a machinist, but I am a metalworker/blacksmith.

I've read this entire fascinating thread and my question is:
"Who manufactures precision measuring tools, and what are *their*
methods and techniques; Etc.?"

I ask this partly because I have experience successfully smelting iron
from ore in a bloomery I made, on a regular demo basis and my spiel
includes describing how "tools make tools that make better tools".

The manufacturing of precision measuring tools (or concepts involved)
is an art that appeals to me. It is the result of natural resources,
time, and a homonid brain.
It's chaos and order, analog and digital. A man's "random" fingers,
hands and eyes create an orderly tool using a tool...

I'm young, still learning, and sure others have written on just this
subject.

Any comments or links I might enjoy?

Thanks ~Dave

It sounds like you'd enjoy a book titled _The Foundations of Mechanical
Accuracy_, by Wayne Moore. You can find it in some big libraries. Your
research librarian probably can order it on an inter-library loan. Also look
for any of the earlier books on accuracy and machine tools by his father,
Richard Moore.

--
Ed Huntress