Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] autobus_prime@yahoo.com is offline

Default heat gun and lead paint

On Feb 27, 8:13*pm, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I have, basically 12-18 window and door frames to repaint, a
staircase, a mantle, and 3 full rooms.

I would think it'd be easier to just replace the window and door frames.
Unless the moldings are historically significant. *You don't state the age
of your house.

BT:
Might be okay in a newer house, but a lot of work in an older one with
10"
baseboards and lots of molding around the windows. I know. I tried
this in
one room. After that, the rest had the top 20-year-old layer of latex
paint
wet-scuffed with sandpaper, loose chips removed, the whole works
washed
with TSP and warm water, and recoated with good quality latex paint.
In
twenty years it will need recoating, and at that point I'll decide if
I want to
recoat it again with whatever space-age paint they are making, or
what.
AND that's probably the last time I'll ever have to make that
decision.

These rooms had paint-grade pine moldings anyhow (or rather, what
was paint-grade in 1908 and is now fine cabinet-grade. )
Downstairs
has really nice hardwood under that paint (philistines) and I will
have to
consider that separately...stripping is a lot of work.

Removing and replacing all that wood is difficult, costly, and in the
end
I probably released more lead dust than I would have otherwise...I
took
every precaution to contain it, of course, giving some acquaintances
cause to pass on stories about their paranoid freakazoid friend, but
hey, my son's blood tests were normal and that's all I care about.
These precautions also paid dividends in elevated spousal temper
levels...they kept patching-plaster dust off the living room floor.
Precautions were putting down a plastic dropcloth, wet-mopping with
TSP instead of vacuuming, and changing clothes & shoes after
working.

And even if you've got the time, there is still that money...6 panel
doors and 10" baseboards...

A P