Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] lwhaley22000@gmail.com is offline

Default Venting for dryer Vent

On Feb 29, 6:32*am, "SteveC" wrote:
Putting in a basement appartment. *I want to run 4" ducting up inside a 2x4
wall, up past the 8 foot concrete wall and outside between the floor joist..

Can I bend or squat the 4" to fit in the wall? *I guess I could cut out some
of the 2" polystyrene insulation 1/2 and inch to fit.

Steve

It is better to run the ducting outside the wall. That's the only way
I've ever seen it done and there are several good reasons I can think
of. 1. The insulation of what is presumable an exterior wall will be
compromised far less. 2. It will be easier to access or service ithe
ducting n the future should the need arise. 3. That vent will get
hot and could be a fire hazard if placed inside a wall.

I know it sounds neat to hide the vent inside the wall but I do not
see it as a good idea