wallster

Default Starter Welding Set

snipped for space
Well, it looks like I'm going to luck out--an old friend is going to
give me his O/A setup!

I think that I'll get a MIG welder in a little while, too, when I Have
a little more "fun-money". I don't think I can justify the $ for a new
brand-name welder, but maybe I can find an older one...

This is certainly a subject I know very little about, but I think that
learning O/A welding first will pay off in the long run. Also, having
the set will be very useful around the shop for brazing, heat treating
tools, etc...

I don't mind spending four or eight hours practicing to get an
adequate weld. In the future I can take a weekend welding class at a
local junior college or something, but at first I'll be happy if I can
just get a halfway decent weld.

I've been looking around for more info on how to select a welder but I
didn't see anything that directly addressed the issue. Did I miss a
FAQ or something? I'll be happy to put together a mini-faq about
getting started and selecting welders, if there isn't one already. I
certainly won't have years of experience to add to it, but I gladly
compile the stuff I've read.

Thanks for all your help! I'm really excited about all the stuff I'm
going to make now. I'm going to set up a website and a blog to share
my progress and hopefully make things a little easier for others.

Again, thanks!

Jeff Polaski
jeff =at= cox =dot= net

[P.S. I've cross posted this to R.C.M because the original post was
there, and wanted to let them know to follow up on it here in
sci.engr.joining.welding]

Oxy ace is a great place to start. It will get you to learn the basics like
pushing that darn puddle around. Alot of welding classes start off with
oxy-ace, some start with stick. Oxy-ace is real handy around the shop even
if you dont weld with it. As far as FAQ's on choosing welding equipment, i
cant think of anything that hasn't been covered (in sci.engr.welding), do a
google search in the group and get ready to read!
Here are some "best of" advice i've picked up:
1. buy name brand equipment. All welding (and cutting) units use
consumables. From torch tips, electrodes, to collets and cups. A name brand
part is easier to find.
2. buy more than what you'll need. in most cases if you go smaller, you'll
be buying again. I learned this lesson the hard way. Started out with a chop
saw and a CH flux core welder. That turned in to thousands of dollars worth
of stuff.
3. Read posts from Ernie Leimkuhler regarding welding, he is the guy to ask
when you're stuck. There are alot of bright guys in this group(Randy
Zimmerman, Gary Coffman...), but Ernie may be the reigning king. (I bookmark
his stuff!)
4. Get to know your local welding supply store guys. I bring mine food! They
will save you time and aggravation with they're knowledge. They do this for
a living.
5. Have fun! I cant get any happier than when i'm making something in my
shop.

Good luck,
walt