Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Drain plug removal

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:58:26 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

First time ever I had my oil changed by others, they bungled the drain plug.
2000 Chevy Silverado. It was out of town and too far away to consider
redress.

The plug is either 14mm or 9/16 inch hex head. The head seems to have a
slight taper to it. The rest of the plug is an approximate 1.5 inch
shoulder probably with a gasket. I already tried moving it by chiseling
near the edge.

I suppose my best approach at this time would be to weld on a large nut that
will fit over the hex head. I'll be using wire feed welder. Other than
disconnecting the car battery, is there any other advise before I weld?
This will be my first ever overhead weld.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Have you tried the application of a 14" pipe wrench to the offending
item?
Carefully sized and held firmly in place with a bottle jack, this
method can remove even the most solidly stuck drainplug.

Just remember..righty tightly lefty loosey.

Gunner, been there, done that.