Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Dykes Al Dykes is offline

Default Oh boy...

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:24:11 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"BillM" quickly quoth:

Kinda OT, but there is a drill and mercury
involved.

Old gunsmith trick for drilling holes in HARD
parts. Heat the drill bit to red, quench
in mercury. I would suspect that if caught
doing it in this day and age the eco-police
would frown.

Nah, they'd just toss your arse in jail, quarantine the city within a
mile radius from your home, hospitalize all those in the radius, and
excavate the block your shop was on to a depth of 50 yards, charging
you for the hazmat cleanup.

Gramps was a gunsmith with a business shop in the basement. Mercury
was in frequent use as was a large old-fashioned gun bluing operation
with vats of hot chemicals. We moved out of that house in 1958 and
I've always suspected that if I called the right people, EPA folks in
moon suits would appear in quantity and do all of the above to whoever
lives in the house, now.

--
Al Dykes