Floyd L. Davidson

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former

Eric Stevens wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:

http://www.sila.dk/History/Dorset/LateDorset.html

From that site:

"In Greenland only the earliest and latest phases are represented
in the material dated so far; approximately 700 BC - 200 AD, and
800 - 1300 AD."

See - no 4000 years ago.

So now you say you were not referring to the Dorset with that
statement? You quoted text about the Dorset, so what did you
expect readers to associate it with?

You do realize that is what that quoted text is about, right?

Of course its about right!

Whats more it makes rubbish of your claim that Dorset/inuit were
building boats in Greenland 4000 years ago. Can't you do arithmetic?

Where have I *ever* said that *Dorset* people where there 4000
years ago? Can't you follow a thread that extends past anything
within the last 10 lines you've read? The reference to the
Dorset was to demonstrate that your claims about the Thule and
Dorset people not being there at the same time are *clearly*,
according to *your* cite, wrong.

And from the same web site, if you could remember anything longer
than a few minutes, it also says the ancestors of the Dorset were
there 4500 years ago (the Independence I and Saqqaq peoples, who
appear to date back at least to 2500 BC).

You do the arithmetic, Eric. Last time I tried it 4500 year ago
was significantly more than 4000 years ago.

I am getting annoyed. I have spent all this time **carefully**
differentiating between Dorset and Inuit/Thule culture in Greenland
and you still keep on pretending you don't understand what I say.

And you've had it explained to you over and over that the Inuit
and the Eskimo terms are equivalent *group* identifiers, and the
subgroups within those two major categories are... Saqqaq,
Independence I and II, Dorset, Thule, and Modern. Or at least
that is the most common terminology used for those groups in
Greenland. If you look even briefly you'll clearly find each of
those is broken down into sub-groups too. If you look hard
enough you'll also find other names and classifications for the
same cultures. You will also find that each sub-group overlapped
the following group by several hundreds of years. The transitions
between them were *not* clear cut, did not involve an influx of
new people, and did not change the gene pool.

What the Hell are you talking about? *Nobody* believes they never
met! They lived in adjacent villages for hundreds of years. How
could a *very* mobile people, who traded with their neighbors for
hundreds of miles in every direction, not meet?

But in Greenland?

Of course in Greenland. Did you *read* what that site says?
They've found artifacts from Thule culture people all along the
entire coast of Greenland.

Oh good. There are also radar domes. Does that mean the Dorset culture
was familiar with radar domes?

Let see, 300 years of dated artifacts intermixed geographically,
and you don't think the people met? How can you justify that?

The little problem with the radar is that it wasn't there when
the Dorset were. But what you are saying is that the Inuit of
today wouldn't know what a radar dome is, because the time lapse
has only been 50 years. The radar and the Inuit will have to be
there together for another 250 years at least before the Inuit
notice it????

That is absurd. The Thule and the Dorset cultures were in the
same areas for 300 years and suggesting they never met is just
insane.

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)