Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan Jordan is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Jordan" wrote in message
u...
Nobody's yet mentioned that there are 2 types of these telescoping bore
gauges. One has a fixed anvil, the other both anvils move. I find the
fixed anvil type better to use. They can be easily adjusted by tapping the
handle on a suitable object, say a toolpost, so that the movable anvil
either gives a smaller reading. Or, by turning it over, the movable anvil
gives a bigger reading. I don't think I'd trust any measurement taken by
locking the gauge while it's in the bore.
A nice old-fashioned spring caliper could be used too.
Jordan

Worst possible way you can use them if you expect a proper reading. Learn to
use them as they should be used. The exact way you suggest doesn't work is
proper. Those made by Starrett, the ones the double telescope are far
better, keeping the forces centered. I wouldn't trust one that telescopes
only on one side.

Harold

I didn't invent it, but state as I was taught by a metalworking teacher.
You're pretty dismissive, but don't say what the grumble is.
Rather than say yours is the only way, I say there could be more than
one way to skin a cat.

Jordan