Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default How to add a meter to a circuit?

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 03:54:44 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

RJ wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:54:16 -0800 (PST), Howard
wrote:

On Feb 28, 3:49 pm, Robert Allison wrote:

wrote:

What's a low-cost way to add a meter to an 110V electrical circuit?
This circuit runs from my service panel to our well pump. I want to
know how much electricity the well pump uses. Are there replacement
circuit breaker blocks that have meter functionality built into
them? ...or would a vampire a meter onto the circuit cable so that
it's sitting on the circuit between the service panel and the pump?
If so, what product? Is this something I can do myself? (I'm
comfortable wiring light fixtures, outlets, switches, etc.)

Get a cheap ( analog ) bedside clock.
Set it to 12 o clock.
Connect it so the clock runs when the pump runs.

At the end of a week ( or a month )
the clock will represent the number of hours/minutes the pump has run.

Multiply watts ( on the motor plate ) times hours ( on the clock )
to get watt-hours.....

rj

Hi,
If the clock ran more than 12 hours, then what?
There is a meter which count by the hour and it's fraction.

Check it every day or get one with a month day display.

It sounds like a pretty slick idea IMO.

If it runs more than 12 hours per day you should be able to see that
without the clock.