Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default heat gun and lead paint

On Feb 27, 4:45*pm, wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing a heat gun to handle old paint in my
house. *I tested the paint, which I presumed for years was lead-based
(and sealed under layers of modern paint, but the test came clean. *I
am no fool and there has to be SOME lead paint in my house though. *I
am thinking about purchasing a heat gun and was told by a friend that
if I keep the heat at 450 degrees then I probably wouldn't have
problems with it.

I have seen walls and molding with 5-7 layers of paint. *Chemical
peels were a total disaster. *They never worked more than 90% of the
time.

I have, basically 12-18 window and door frames to repaint, a
staircase, a mantle, and 3 full rooms.

What's your advice on this one? *Brand recommendations?

See page 9
http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/libr...FieldGuide.pdf

Better bet -- read the whole guide.

Best bet: Take a course. They are free.
http://www.leadsafetraining.org/
You'll run into other issues down the road so you might as well learn
to solve them.