Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_9_] Frank[_9_] is offline

Default Dry mix concrete question.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
news:_QCxj.34457$6h7.15758@trnddc04...
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Frank" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

Frank" wrote:

-snip-

Don't know what the ratio is as its pre mixed sand and 3/4" aggregate.
I get
15 yards and they dump it on my driveway. All its needed is water and
cement.

I can't imagine that being a good idea. I am anal about keeping my
cement/sand/gravel ratios.

How much cement do you add to your premix?

One to five ratio.

There's one problem. Sounds like you're shooting for the very
common and good all around, 1,2,3 mix. But even if you managed
to get lucky and you got 2 parts sand and 3 parts gravel- [and I
still don't see that as likely] once mixed your 2+3 probably equals
about 4 - not 5.

I use #2 crushed stone & mason's sand. . . . I just tried it- 3 stone
plus 2 sand = just over 4 of the mix.

Your smaller stone might have a different yield. But I still suspect
that the top of that pile is more like 1 sand & 3-4 stone, and the
bottom will be 3-4 sand to one stone. Especially if it is as dry as
it ought to be.

-snip-

What are you mixing it in?

http://www.constructioncomplete.com/...mentMixer.html

This one except its by Husky and about $200 cheaper - I had this Imer
before

That's an awful lot of mixing - 15 yards of sand/gravel. I was
looking at a job half that size a couple summers ago and my
brother-in-law talked me into the redi-mix truck. Ended up
actually saving me money after I called around a bit. Done in 1/2 a
day, more options, and a better mix besides.

We were just doing footings which didn't have to be pretty- but it
sounds like you might be doing a sidewalk/patio. [I hope not a
driveway because you've started with a pretty weak mix if it is.] I'd
be thinking about it though if I needed more than a couple yards of
concrete. [you pay extra for a short load- when I did it, I was
quoted a price for 4 yards- then raised it to 5 yards and the last
yard only cost me about $10] Even at the high price per yard it
was cheaper than buying sand, gravel and portland.

Jim

Not to mention spending all the energy to mix it. Even with a mixer, it
is a lot of work. Ready mix trucks are the only way to go for anything
over a yard, if you ask me. Plus, as you mentioned, the mix is waaaaay
better. (And guaranteed if you pour a test cylinder or two.)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I hear you guys but its just the wife and me, not 7 guys and 3 finishers.
Next time I'll try the self consolidating concrete - no need to vibrate,
screed or even spread it.