Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney David Courtney is offline

Default Drain plug removal

I use a 15mm box-end wrench to remove the drain plug on my '00
Silverado... for whatever it's worth. It does seem to have a "taper"... not
sure how they came up with that idea?
If there's any way you can pound a 15mm socket onto the plug... that's
what I would try first.
I've welded on both of my '00 Silverados and my '88 step-side without
disconnecting anything... no problems.

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
First time ever I had my oil changed by others, they bungled the drain
plug. 2000 Chevy Silverado. It was out of town and too far away to
consider redress.

The plug is either 14mm or 9/16 inch hex head. The head seems to have a
slight taper to it. The rest of the plug is an approximate 1.5 inch
shoulder probably with a gasket. I already tried moving it by chiseling
near the edge.

I suppose my best approach at this time would be to weld on a large nut
that will fit over the hex head. I'll be using wire feed welder. Other
than disconnecting the car battery, is there any other advise before I
weld? This will be my first ever overhead weld.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary