Tim Williams

Default Using microwave xmfr for resistance soldering?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
A given sized core can only handle so many VA at
given frequency (60 Hz)...

No, it can handle a certain number of turns per volt (which of course has a
factor of frequency, yadda yadda, but we're at 50/60Hz only so forget about
it). Current depends on the wire. That's why you can short a transformer
and get the windings smokin'...

I'd wind a one-turn secondary and measure that voltage as a reference
point for volts per turn. Secondary material is up to the guy winding
it, and if you built a spot welder than you know the drill.

Personally I'd probably melt some aluminum wire into bars (I've got 13
pounds as weighed, soft crap to burn.... literally? HMMMM.....) and wrap
that around the core, a turn or two. Some duct tape would make good
insulation I bet.
Most MOT welders have uh...3-5T? Maybe pile up four, run them in
series-parallel off 240V and loop some heavy welding cable through the space
where the secondaries used to be.

Tim

--
"I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!"
- Homer Simpson