Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Gary H. Lucas Gary H. Lucas is offline

Default Rotary phase converter: local ground or all the way to the panel?

"rpseguin" wrote in message
Shhh but in a pinch I've used a "strand"--twisted together from 3
individual
pieces of #12 or 14 copper.

:-)
I get the message. I won't cheap out. My credit card is feeling the
strain though.

Still looking around for some #2 or bigger. I've got a lead on some
#4 wire.

My plan, after all the advice is to put a single phase 100A subpanel
in the garage.
That subpanel will have a breaker for the RPC.

Main
Panel

| #2 wire, 70+ feet run

1ph
Sub-panel

| 60A 2 pole breaker, #2 wire, 10 foot max run

RPC

| #2 wire, 10 foot max run

3ph
Panel
(3ph/pole breakers for machines)

If you don't need to go underground buy aluminum mud cable, this will easily
be the cheapest solution. Aluminum got a bad name because they tried to use
it in small sizes in residential, with the wrong devices, along with labor
that was clueless about proper techniques. We made a lot of money fixing
jobs done wrong in aluminum, and I have never seen a properly done aluminum
job fail.

Gary H. Lucas