Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
BDBConstruction BDBConstruction is offline

Default sill plate replacement in basement revisited

On Feb 28, 1:50*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:

What I don't see is how you think the above method I suggest would
raise the outer joist and sheathing and not the bottom plate. *I could
see the joist with the jacking beam under it raising and cracking the
subfloor while the blocking broke loose but not what you suggest.- Hide quoted text -

You are confusing your terms, your last sentence is correct. The joist
you proposing to jack against in your ASCII "is" the outer joist.
Outboud of that, under the outside wall, is the rim board/rim joist/
band. I call it a rim board when sitting on continuous foundation, and
rim joist or header when not. Regardless, what I said was, "The result
of this will be 0.0000" of movement at the outside wall". This means
the outside wall, floor sheating, rim joist, and the sill, will not go
up. All that will go up will be the outer joist you are jacking on,
and the sub/finish floor above, inbound of the wall. You are basically
shoving the floor up through the interior of the house hoping that the
strength of your blocking (which there is none) and the floor
sheathing (again none), will lift the walls. This will not happen. And
again, even if it did, it doesnt facilitate changing the damaged rim.
What _will_ happen is the floor sheathing will fail at the inner edge
of the outside wall and for conversation sake if jacking continued it
would simply tear the subfloor and finish floor free leaving the
outside wall where it is. Jacking would become progressively easier
and easier once the floor is torn free of the outside walls.

Mark