Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Real estate agent ethics

wrote:

I'd like to see where anyone ever prevailed in a copyright suit
over a
simple business letter sent to someone like this. Letters,
including
the full letter, without names, etc redacted, wind up being used and
in the media all the time. Yet, I've never heard of anyone
prevailing in a lawsuit over the letter being copyrighted. And if
they did, what do you think a court would award? $1 maybe.

Any award for infringement of an unregistered copyright is for actual
damages; that is, money lost because of the infringement. And the
damages have to be proved.

With a registered copyright there are statutory damages and they - the
actual damages - need not be proved. Which is the advantage of
registration. The damages need not be limited to those provided by
statute but any amount greater must be proved. Statutory damages go
up to $30,000.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/504.html

--

dadiOH