Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Boring a hole question...

wrote:

Sigh...another question from StudentLand, that strange area where,
after reading the textbook, being shown what to do by the teacher, the
results are STILL all over the place......

I always insert the telescoping gage with the points as close to center line
but the handle tilted off bore axis and 'wipe' the bore with the screw
locked. The only way the gage can come out is by the bore forcing the gage
to a more closed position.

A developed sense of feel is essential along with duplicate measuring to
deal with errors in technique. I use some ancient Starrets where only one
side telescopes. Haven't let me down yet.

I assume you have access to a lathe and sand paper. You could make your own
dedicated plug gages to check the fit of the hole. Turn it close, sand to
final diameter.

Wes