Don Foreman

Default Welder, too hot or not hot enough

I have a Lincoln SP125. I like it because it has continuous heat
control, not just 4 steps. That fine control really makes a
difference with thin metal.

It does a beautiful job with Ag25 shield gas, even butt-welding
28-gage steel. It's a great machine for autobody, which is why I
bought it. Living in MN, I used to do a lot of "rust work".

I've later discovered that it can weld 3/16" steel with fluxcore, no
problem at all. I was doing some 1/8" steel yesterday, had problems
with blowthru until I turned the heat down a bit. Fluxcore isn't as
pretty as MIG, more like stick, but it definitely gets the job done --
and it's a must when working outdoors if there's any breeze.

I like the 110 volt operation because I can bring the welder to the
job, as in working on a trailer or dock.

Brazing sheetmetal has never worked well for me except for very small
jobs. Too much heat distortion. MIG works much better.

On 17 Jul 2004 04:01:14 -0700, (John) wrote:

I have been about to buy a good 110v mig for a couple months, but
spend too much time reading the web... Seems people find the Miller
135 or similar not 'hot' enough to weld thicker than 1/8" and too hot
for much sheet.

How do these alternate solutions compa

1. Braze the mapp/air for the sheet to 1/8" and an Arc for thicker?
Can that for $400.

2. Can a 220v mig like a Hobart Handler 180 go lower better for thin
than
a 110v machine? Obviously it can go 'hotter.' $650-700.