Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Safety of Nuke Power

On Feb 28, 12:20*pm, dpb wrote:

you know if it werent for 3 mile island, nuke power would be much more
common today.

True, but the reaction was hysteria from folks like you, not from any
reasoned evaluation of the consequences.

There was no measurable offsite harm, no onsite injuries. *Nothing but
some damaged equipment. *How many other industries can have that as
their worst scenario after almost 40 years?

but building something that can in any degree create another chernobyl
here in our country is folly.

Again I repeat--the LWR designs and Chernobyl have _nothing_ in common
other than sharing the word "nuclear".

If you had any idea of the differences, you would understand that.

And again, what was the accident mechanism in Chernobyl? *Do you even
know what actually happened?

your statement that things are safe there except for one city shows
how little you know of the after effects.......

I made no such statement. *If you want to have a discussion, at least
don't make stuff up and attempt to make me say things I didn't say.
This is the second time you've done this--to another respondent
previously I saw.

--

As I previously pointed out, you could extend this fear mongering to
many things. Imagine the airplane having just been invented. You

We keep hearing Chernobyl. How about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Look
on a map and they are completely rebuilt thriving cities today.

And the final hypocrisy with the fear mongers is this. The same
extremists that rail against nuclear power rail against just about
everything else. Global warming for example. We're suppose to
believe that life on the whole planet is in jeopardy, yet we're not
suppose to use nuclear power, which has close to zero green house
emissions. They have no solutions, only extreme positions.