Andy Hall

Default Best Isolating valves for Central Heating Pumps??

On 1 Oct 2003 20:09:56 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Hall writes:

I've used lever ball valves and found them fine over a 3 year period
so far.

Certainly they are better than gate valves.

Yes. I've had no problem with the pump, but have had to drain
the system down twice to fix the gate valves, which are only
there in the first place so you don't have to drain the system
down. Seems to be a logic fault there somewhere?

Exactly.

I've found the red wheeled ones to be bad enough - they stick and are
difficult to move when it's necessary to turn them off, and even when
closed they seep or even drip quite fast.

The ones that are built into pump unions are even worse, and I've
found that they can be very hard to move. You don't really want to
have to mess around with WD40 etc. and leave to soak when a pump needs
to be changed.

Ergo, last time, I put unions with compression fittings next to the
pump and then lever ball valves next to them.

Completely effective.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl