Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default sill plate replacement in basement revisited

Limp Arbor wrote:
A little searching on the Simpson website led me to some anchors that
may satisfy the inspector's requirement for anchor bolts on the new
sill plate.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/UFP.asp
Simpson's site is full of code references, load test results, and
corrosion data that should satisfy all but the most obtuse inspector.

But I still need an idea or two on how to lift/support a 12' section
of the two story house where the joists run parallel to the sill
plate.
Like in the side of the house in the first picture here
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/floor.html

Not one of you is clever enough to think of a way to do this?

Why lift?

The object is to replace the sill plate, not elevate the building.

Take out a 12" section (chisel? Sawsall?) and replace it. Move to the next
section.

Where is it written that the sill plate has to be one big honkin' board?

Heck, there are houses that don't have any sill plates at all! (The most
famous one was Dorothy's house in the Wizard of Oz.)