Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_9_] Frank[_9_] is offline

Default Dry mix concrete question.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
news:ZS4xj.6149$xg6.2625@trnddc07...
Frank wrote:

I've used the ready mixed in a bag and mix my own by adding cement to the
con mix. I usually get a better finish with the ready mix - smoother,
more butter. The con mix consists of sand and 3/4" or smaller rocks. I'm
using 1 part cement to 5 part con mix ratio. The problem is most of the
rocks are large with very few aggregates smaller than 1/2" so the results
are lumpy after bull floating. I needed to use the tamper to drive the
rocks down before bullfloating. Both supplier in my are has this problem
regarding the lumpiness.

Am I doing something wrong or should I add smaller rocks to the mix
(eliminate the temping process) to get a smooth finish like the ready mix
bags?

Are you using 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, and 3 parts aggregate? That
should do it. What kind of aggregate are you using? Larger aggregate will
contribute to higher PSI, so I wouldn't put in smaller unless you don't
care about strength. I haven't had lumpiness problems, so I can't help
much.

Don't know what the ratio is as its pre mixed sand and 3/4" aggregate. I get
15 yards and they dump it on my driveway. All its needed is water and
cement. Vibrating the concrete helps and the walk behind tamper is great
pushing the 3/4" lumps down, leaving more butter on the surface. Still not
as good as the pre mixed bags where you just add water.

Also for straight lines, an edger is great but on radius bends where the
edger doesn't conform to the curves, what tools should I use?

We have always used standard radius edgers. When the radius wall gets
short, you sometimes have to lift up the front of the edger and just use
about half of it to make the radius. When doing this, it is important to
have the curved edge radius edger. Here is an example:

http://www.marshalltown.com/catalog/...sp?edino=14190

This is the tool I use and having problems with small radius curves even
after lifting the edger up. The problem is its too long but I have an extra
one and will saw it off and play around with it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.