Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] chinsta00@hotmail.com is offline

Default Konka 1486E TV, Picture OK, No audio from tuner, External AV audio OK

Probably not worth fixing (kerb shopping) but if anyone has any ideas
or has encountered a similar problem in the past then I hope you might
help. Stop reading now if you think I might be wasting your time.

As stated in the subject line the TV is able to tune channels and
display a correct picture. The problem is that there is no sound with
that picture. To be correct there is sound but it is just static /
white noise coming out the speaker. I've tried turning up the volume
to try and hear any program material hidden below the noise but I
think it is all hiss, and it doesn't change when changing channels
either. The audio from the external AV input works fine so I think
the audio amplifier stage is OK.

I don't have a schematic but I traced the audio RCA socket input and
amplifier output lines to a big 56 pin DIP labelled TB1238AN. A look
at the datasheet's block diagram has confirmed the pins for audio
input and output. Pin 53 labelled "Limiter IN / H Correction" seems
to be the next stop to check but somewhat poetically this is about the
limit of my investigative skills. I'm not sure what type of signal I
should be getting on the CRO at pin 53 nor do I know what kind of
signal I should inject into this point to test the IC. From the
datasheet it seems to me to be a dual purpose pin?

Perhaps this is enough information to confirm the chip is a dud, or
maybe something is broken further upstream. Anyway, suggestions on
where to go will be appreciated.