Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Can some building guru explain how the earth can move but cause no structural damage?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:26:30 -0000 someone who may be "Clive George"
wrote this:-

If you're trying to shift rock, eg for road building or quarrying, you use
explosive. Put it near the surface and you get a bang and lots of little
bits of rock flying anywhere - but not much volume shifted.
Put it deep, and it looks a lot less spectacular - but shatters rather more
rock, provided you put enough in.

The same was true in Ye Olden Days with depth charges. If it made a
big spout of water then it was likely to have been set off for a
film or photograph. Ones used against submarines made little
disturbance on the surface of the water.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh