Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
CJT wrote:

Do they ever actually meter therms, or measure ccf and convert?
It seems to me to actually measure the therms, they'd need to
continuously monitor the heating value of the gas being delivered,
and that seems quite difficult compared with just measuring cf.
Of course, assuming they've stripped the gas down to nearly pure
methane, the conversion is easy, but natural gas can vary according
to ethane and higher content.

They do here... Meter reading is by CCF, then a conversion factor applied to
get
therm, multiplied by the rate per therm. The factor changes slightly every
month...

Based upon the "heating value" of that month's gas, I assume.