Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
John John is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Mon 18 Feb 2008 15:16:55, Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:29:11 -0800 (PST), N8N wrote:
I just replaced the anodes ... on two ancient (80's) water heaters
it turns out that they were both still in good shape

Hi Nate,

That brings up the first (of many) questions that arose when we
replaced our hot water heater (with your help) yesterday ...

1. I agree, while replacing the altruistic anode is a "good thing"
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/...124_f60ec145cf.
jpg?v=0

The problem I found is ...

2. Even Superman couldn't would have a tough time removing mine ...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/...52c3b7d618.jpg
?v=0

Given it took a pipe wrench plus a huge cheater bar to remove the
anode with the water heater removed and blocked on the ground ...
and given that any in-place plumbing and vent ducts would have
severely hampered access ... and given that a water heater isn't
rigidly "mounted" ... I wonder ...

Can anyone really expect to remove the anode when it needs
inspection? Why don't they provide TWO HOLES so you can add a
second anode when needed?

Donna
http://www.flickr.com/donnaohl

Hello Donna, you seem to have learnt quite a surprsing amount for
someone who has was a novice just a few weeks ago and who does not
have a background in mechanical engineering.

I'm impressed.

Or i would be impressed if I could believe it but I am afrain I can't
beleieve it.

What did you say was your line of work?

If you have time when you're not posting extended posts to a "quick
and basic" question?