Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wmbeyerusa@gmail.com is offline

Default Well Water Treatment for Low pH

On Feb 18, 5:32*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
I moved to a home with a well 2 1/2 years ago, my first home with a well, so
managing it is all new to me.

I have colleagues and neighbors who have warned that if thepHof the well
water is low (acidic) and you have copper pipes, you could develop pinhole
leaks, andrecommenda water softener/conditioner system to soften the water
and balance thepH.

We use a filter for drinking water, and the house has a screen type of
filter for large particulates.

I have mostly plastic pipes, so I don't have to worry about pinhole leaks.
However, since we bought the house (it is now 10 years old), we have had to
replace both sink faucets in the second upstairs bathroom. *On the most
recent one, the plumber said there were signs of erosion, some greenish
deposits, and suggested we get his company to give an estimate for a
softener/conditioner system.

I got the estimate, and the plumber who gave the estimate tested the water,
and said that thepHwas a little low (slightly acidic). *He did say that
this could lead to future failure of faucets and the water heater, as well
as stains/deposits in sinks and toilets. *We have had no stains or deposits
ever.

The estimate is $3000 (!!).

I'm not sure what to do (invest in this softener/conditioner system, or not
and hope for the best). *In the meantime I will get at least one more
estimate.

If I have to replace a faucet once every few years, it will be a long time
before I spend the same as for this conditioner system. *Also, the house is
10 years old, so even if I get such a system, it will not reverse 10 years
of acidic water running through the fixtures. *I may have fixtures fail
anyway.

We're thinking of downsizing once our youngest starts college in 7 1/2
years, so I'd hate to make such a large investment. *On the other hand, if
I'm on the verge of multiple fixtures failing, that isn't good either.

Any advice?

If you really need water treatment,
talk to Gary Slusser at http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/
Get one of his custom softener systems with a Clack controller !

-Bill